Thursday, May 17, 2012

Footprints


Lessons we learn throughout our lives. Whether they are good or bad.  As parents we often do not realize that we are teaching our children lessons every day without setting out to do so. Have you ever thought about that?

Growing up, and as you figured from my last post, my bio mother was not the best positive teacher in life. That being said though, I did learn a lot from that woman. Lessons I am very much thankful for each and every day. So, in a way, I am indebted to her for some of the way I turned out. Much of the positives. How is it that a mother who is not by state standards a “fit” mother capable of teaching a child how to become a good mother and adult? Let me explain.

Lessons that I learned from her early on. Smoking was disgusting! It made your house smell horrible! (You know what I mean by this. That friend or relative that smokes and you go to their home and take a big ole whiff! YUCK!) Not only that, it was a horrible waste of money. We never had money, but she always had money for those things. I never formed that habit thankfully! That was enough for me! Alcohol and drugs was another biggie! Saw enough with her to know, it can ruin your life. It can also make you act in ways you would never normally act. Or at least enhance those actions in a negative way. I do occasionally drink, but I know when to say enough. Again though, what a waste to go out all the time!

These bring me to my next lesson. Your kids come first! Habits should never come before bills or things such as food or clothing. Their needs must be met before those habits of yours. Taking from your kids to meet your needs (pawning their stuff like game systems, laptops etc.) due to your inability to budget or because of your habits, is just plain bad parenting skills all around. Yes, my mother did this all the time!

These are just some of my big lessons that I had learned by 7, which a 7 year old should have no clue about. This is what I mean by we as parents teach our children lessons every day without even realizing that we are doing so. Every day we are placing footprints in life for them to follow in. Where will your footprints lead your children? Will it lead them to being successful, independent adults or failures? Will you teach them to follow through on their goals and dreams or fall short and give up?

Until next time, I hope you have a great day and beware your steps you place in your child’s life!

No comments:

Post a Comment