Thursday, April 26, 2012

Opinion Not Needed!


As mother, sometimes it is soo frustrating!! People want to butt in and give opinions about this or that when they just have no clue! You know those people I am talking about. Friendly advice is one thing, don’t get me wrong. I am all for hearing what has worked for others. You just never know after all, it could work for that cough or cold.

What I am talking about is things such as immunizations (yes, I immunize my kids), or ADHD and medication. I remember clearly the day my eldest was diagnosed with ADD. I was dead set against medicating my child. Why? Simple. I had heard so many, mainly women, talk bad about. And of course, all the suggestions followed. Don’t feed him this, avoid that, don’t give him red stuff. I got all into. Never once did I stop and research for myself or even come up with my own thoughts. Even asking a simple question, these ladies were quick to jump and make me feel awful for even considering the thought of placing my child on any kinds of medications for this disorder.

After a year of ups and downs, and the poor teacher trying desperately to try alternatives, I sought my doctor’s advice, again. She gave it to me straight. Just try the meds. See how they are. She went over my concerns and helped me research the info. I was amazed at what I found. I of course, hid the fact that I gave in (how I felt) to medicating my son. After about a month, I could not believe the difference. His grades shot up! The teacher was ever so grateful as well.

My lesson was learned! When my second son was diagnosed with ADHD, I did not hesitate to first, ensure this was the proper diagnoses, second, medicate him. I did my homework this time. I also learned, opinions are not needed and I am my child’s parent, no one else. That info those parents gave me, weren’t even correct. They had no merit, no clue, and they aren’t educated, experts in that field. There was nothing wrong with getting help for my child when he really and truly needed it. I wasn’t simply handing my child a pill cause I couldn’t handle him, I was giving him a chance to be able to focus his brain and focus his body.

Sometimes, we need to say, YOU’RE OPINION IS NOT NEEDED! Never let anyone make you feel bad for doing what you feel is best for your child or family. Only you know what is best. Others are only looking in from the outside. And yes, this even goes for family!

Until next time…. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment